Old June 18th 08, 05:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
BH Williams BH Williams is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

"James Farrar" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:48:14 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 14:35:13 on Wed, 18
Jun 2008, remarked:
Is it not possible to take the money to bank, particularly where one
might
have an account, rather than to go through one of those counting
machines?

Last time I did that they almost threw me out. But seeing as there
wasn't a queue they counted it and accepted it and told me not to do it
again. I think they normally require bulk change sorted, bagged and
weighed, which they can then quickly check by re-weighing.

Which is what I do. Because I'm nice like that :-)

They want 100 pennies, 50 tuppences or 100 five pence pieces in a bag.
Not sure above that.

You can get the bags from any high street bank and I've never had a
problem with using the "wrong" bank's bag...

Banks and post offices weigh the money (which must be in the prescribed
amount for the bag, £1 for 'copper', £5 for 'silver' and £ 20 for £1/£2
coins), and only count them if there is a discrepancy between the actual
weight and the norm. Bags seem to be in a 'pool', and I've never had
problems with the wrong sort of bag in all the years I've done it. In the
days of telephone stamps, the change used to serve to buy these, taking some
of the sting out of paying the quarterly bill.
Brian