Old June 18th 08, 07:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:57:00 +0100, "Tim Roll-Pickering"
wrote:

Banks vary quite a bit on this. When I first got a current account in 1992
one of the considerations was the ability to pay in loose coins. Even then
some banks wouldn't take them out of hours. Now even my bank is switching
its payin machines from "deposit an envelope" to "feed in the notes and
cheques" with no cash option.

Go to the counter?

What the heck are people meant to do with their loose change? Debit cards
haven't totally taken over the universe yet.

With a bit of effort, it's easy to minimise the amount of it you
produce by taking the time (it doesn't take that long!) to pay with
exact change when you have it. This wasn't my habit before, but when
I spent a year living in Germany I found most shop assistants would
insist on it if at all possible, so as I was in the habit I stuck with
it. I do have a small change jar (1p and 2p mainly) but it only ends
up with a few in a week.

On another note, though, I would like to see the abolition of the 1p
and 2p coins as the Dutch have done with the 1 and 2 euro-cent coins.
There is hardly a need for them these days.

Neil

--
Neil Williams