Old June 19th 08, 07:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mwmbwls Mwmbwls is offline

Default Nice oyster scam now meets hole in the dijk

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...331761b,00.htm
quote
Wednesday 18 June 2008, 5:03 PM
Dutch researchers crack London's Oyster card
Posted by David Meyer
Now they've really gone and done it. At the start of the year, some
Dutch researchers managed to crack the Netherlands' travelcard, the OV-
chipkaart. Now, this card uses the same technology - NXP's Mifare - as
Transport for London's Oyster card. When security experts said the
Dutch crack meant the Oyster system should be upgraded or replaced,
TfL told us there were enough additional layers of security to make
the Dutch case irrelevant to London.

No longer. Wouter Teepe and Bart Jacobs, from Radboud University,
today told the Dutch parliament that they'd cracked and cloned
London's Oyster card. They were able to not only take free rides on
the Underground, but even execute a denial-of-service attack on the
gates. Check out a Google translation here of an article, by
Webwereld's Brenno de Winter, on the subject.

We're awaiting comment from TfL, and are also in touch with one of the
researchers. So, expect more on this tomorrow... I get a feeling this
story will roll on and on.
unquote