Old June 19th 08, 04:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Hugh Brodie Hugh Brodie is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

wrote in message
"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Stephen Allcroft" wrote

Neither dependent nor colonised but we in Scotland still have pound
notes (issued by private banks).

Only the Royal Bank of Scotland still issues one pound notes, though all
three Scottish banks issue GBP100 notes, which is more than the Bank of
England does. The Scottish banks have to have their banknotes backed by
Bank
of England notes, and for this purpose the Bank of England has issued
notes
for GBP1 million and GBP100 million.
http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/bankn...ther_notes.htm

???

The highest denomination banknote that I have ever seen issued was for
$100,000, bearing the portrait of late US president Woodrow Wilson.

But that was actually for a substantial amount. I am not counting
banknotes from Yugoslavia, for example, which had a 1 billion-dinar note,
due because of hyper inflation.

Speaking of the BoE's Website, is there a tentative schedule for when
other F series banknotes are to be introduced? I also seem to recall that
there are coins with completely different reverses for all denominations
starting from this year.

Speaking of hyper-inflation, it's fun looking at the website of the Reserve
Bank of Zimbabwe http://www.rbz.co.zw to see the daily exchange rate of the
$Z vs the $US. Yesterday, it was 5,817,000,000; today it's 6,718,000,000.
They have just issued $Z 50,000,000,000 notes ("bearer cheques"). And it
will cost you $Z 1,800,000,000 to mail a postcard to the US.
http://www.zimpost.co.zw/postalrates.html

ObTransit - I saw a Youtube video showing buses in Zimbabwe - they come
rarely, and then only when they can get fuel.

hb.