Old June 20th 08, 12:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Peter Campbell Smith[_2_] Peter Campbell Smith[_2_] is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in
:

I also wonder what happened to anyone's bank balance that ended in ½p.

My recollection is that the bank current accounts didn't handle ½p amounts
ever.

Long before I had a bank account they had stopped allowing ½d balances, so
you couldn't, for example, write a cheque for £1.2s.6½d. At
decimalisation, there was an approved 'whole penny' conversion scale and
the banks used that to convert every balance on D-day to a whole number of
new pence. So you were never able to write cheques for, eg, £1.23½.

To get slightly back to topic, I don't remember any train fares costing odd
halfpennies (my monthly child season was 4s 11d which was 1/3 of the adult
rate), but I do remember when the Edinburgh buses (and trams) abolished the
last halfpenny fare by putting the child rate up from 1½d to 2d -- it would
be around 1955. I put in a correspondingly inflation-linked claim for a
pocket money increase.

After that fare increase, the maximum adult bus fare in Edinburgh was 6d,
and that was also the maximum fare that the ticket machines could print.

Peter

--
Peter Campbell Smith ~ London ~ pjcs00 (a) gmail.com