Old June 20th 08, 07:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
BH Williams BH Williams is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

"Peter Beale" wrote in message
Peter Campbell Smith wrote:

I was in St Omer (northern France) last Saturday, and when buying in the
market, they (consistently) priced with a resolution of 1c and totalled
the bill precisely, but then only charged me the price rounded down to a
5c multiple. So for example, item A was weighed and labelled as 1.28
euro, item B was labelled at 1.59 euro, the total was 2.87 euro and they
gave 15c change from 3 euro. I imagine they would accept 1c and 2c coins,
but I didn't try.

The strange thing about France is that several years after going over to
the Euro, many bills and credit card slips still have the amount in francs
as well as euros. I am not sure why this is.

Peter Beale

Whilst the French were still using the franc, most people of my acquaintance
in rural France still referred to land and property values in old francs
(which hadn't been around for at least forty years)- very disconcerting when
one heard of something costing X million (centimes). I think they like to
keep some point of reference to pre-existing values, so they've got
something to complain about....
Brian