Old June 20th 08, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney) Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney) is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

BH Williams wrote:
Whilst the French were still using the franc, most people of my acquaintance
in rural France still referred to land and property values in old francs
(which hadn't been around for at least forty years)- very disconcerting when
one heard of something costing X million (centimes). I think they like to
keep some point of reference to pre-existing values, so they've got
something to complain about....
Brian

I find it useful (and frightening) to convert from decimal currency back
to old-fashioned pounds, shillings and pence; a small bar of chocolate
now costs twelve shillings (60p).
Bruce