Old June 20th 08, 11:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Charles Ellson Charles Ellson is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:48:56 -0700 (PDT), MIG
wrote:

On Jun 20, 11:30*pm, "Peter Masson" wrote:
wrote

Will English and Welsh retailers accept Scottish 100-pound notes?

Small retailers, except perhaps in Carlisle, Berwick, or Newcastle, wouldn't
see one in a month of Sundays - and many small English and Welsh retailers
won't accept any Scottish notes. After all, they are not legal tender, even
in Scotland. For that matter, Bank of England notes aren't legal tender in
Scotland (though legal tender has a narrow technical meaning).

I remember my economics teacher saying that about Scottish notes many
decades ago, but no one believed me when I repeated it. Given that
the claim wasn't clarified to me at the time I couldn't back it up
with an explanation. English people are convinced that Scottish notes
are legal tender.

According to Yahoo Answers, Scottish notes were legal tender from
1939-1946 under the Currency (Defence) Act 1939.

I was in a pub near Kings Cross with someone with a Scottish accent
who lived in Leytonstone who was most miffed when they decided to dump
some Scottish notes in his change.

He would have been even more miffed if the publican didn't give him
any change at all, there being no general obligation to do so.