Old June 22nd 08, 02:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Chris Tolley Chris  Tolley is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

John Mara wrote:

Chris Tolley wrote:
Graham Murray wrote:

Having all banknotes the same size is surely discrimination against
blind people.

Not really. There are plenty of situations in life where one group of
people is advantaged/disadvantaged with respect to another. It's only
discriminatory if it is done either with the desire of causing a
specific outcome of that kind, or else in contravention of relevant
rules that are designed to avoid such an outcome.

In a 2 to 1 decision, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals
for the District of Columbia Circuit said the existing currency system
violates the federal Rehabilitation Act. The judges said that the
Treasury Department must find a way to accommodate the needs of the
visually impaired.

I didn't know that the Rehabiltation act had such provisions; I thought
it was just concerned with employment and communications. I suspect that
in a typical lawyerly way some unrelated provision has been claimed to
have been written with the intention of conferring such rights.

Still, it is progress of a sort, no matter how it has been arrived at.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p14104754.html
(43 101 at Peterborough, 3 Sep 1979)