Old June 25th 08, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Richard J.[_2_] Richard J.[_2_] is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

Adrian wrote:
John B gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

In the UK it is also conventional that you notify your bank if you
intend on travelling abroad.

It is? I've never done or heard of this, and nor have any of the
other people I've just asked about it...

I've never done or had a problem as a result of not doing so - but
SWMBO seems to think that they need to know. God knows why. Mind you,
she's with Barclays, so I really wouldn't put anything past them.

In theory, you are more likely to have problems with card purchases abroad
if you don't notify the card issuer, as an unexpected batch of transactions
in a foreign country might be regarded as suspicious (use of cloned card,
etc.). In practice I've never had a problem. Barclaycard do ask customers
to notify them when going abroad, and they'll tell you what the current Visa
exchange rate is. HSBC seem indifferent, and refuse to tell you what the
Mastercard exchange rate is.
--
Richard J.