Old November 25th 03, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses
Bill Hayles Bill Hayles is offline

Default Number 8 bus

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:37:59 +0000 (UTC), "Terry Harper"
wrote:

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message

Is calling an outstation a "Dormy" or "Dormy Garage" a practice
exclusive to the old Midland Red, or was that a widespread term?

Someone here is bound to know, Ross being at the top of the list!

No, it was a commonly-used term in the industry. Dormy Shed is another
variation. Outpost is another that I have heard.

London Transport used "outstation". In the 1960s, a bus was
outstationed on the forecourt of the Royal Oak, Holmbury St. Mary
each night, the drivers living nearby. The arrangement ceased when
one of the drivers (known to all and sundry as "Curly" - I never
knew his real name) retired.

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com