Old November 25th 03, 12:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default Route 73 to be converted to Bendi Bus

"Graham J" typed

Except mums with pushchairs. And people who can't climb the steps to
the lower saloon. Many of the complaints regarding double deck
low-floor buses related to the early vehicles which had little seating
in the low-floor area.

Oh the modern ones still have problems too. The seats at the rear of the
bus are often up high steps that make them as inaccessible as the upstairs
(and even for those that can use them extra care is needed when going to get
off the bus, I've lost footing a few times myself).

Actually, they are *less* accessible than the top deck of a double
decker for someone like me.
Double deckers have narrow staircases with handrails on both sides, so I
can pull myself upstairs with my arms. Trouble is, many fit people
can't be bothered to go upstairs, forcing people like me upstairs where
I can be guaranteed a seat.

Steps on single deckers can be high, with few available handholds. I try
to avoid to try to use the seats at the back of either single or modern
double-decker buses as I can't approach or leave these safely. Other
passengers can also end up with me stepping on their toes.

The side facing seats
often found near the front are not deep enough and have inadequate hand
grips so when the bus turns corners people are catapulted across the floor
of the bus.

As has happened to me...

--
Helen D. Vecht: