Old June 28th 08, 03:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Scott Scott is offline

Default Another Oyster scam

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 06:40:06 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I could hardly believe, last week, when I tried to buy a One Day
Travelcard at my local newsgent, who had sold them for many years,
that they are no longer available there! The equipment, he told me, as
I could see, had been removed and all he can now do is add credit to
Oyster cards, or sell weekly etc. tickets on Oyster.

This is an outrageous scam by T.F.L., which means I now would now lose
£1 credit on my Oyster in order to get a bus to my local station which
is, presumably, the only place I can now buy a One Day Travelcard.
Does anyone know why one can't get a One Day Travelcard on Oyster?

It's funny that bus drivers don't even seem to know that this is now
the case, since my father when he tried bought a ticket on the bus one
morning was told by the driver that it would be cheaper for him to by
a One Day Bus Pass at the same newsagents!

M.M.

Why do you need a One Day Travelcard?

If you keep using an Oyster card the price is automatically capped at
the cost of a One Day Travelcard. So if you use an Oyster card all
day you will be charged for a One Day Travelcard. If your journey(s)
cost less than that, you will pay less. Far from being an 'outrageous
scam' as you put it this sounds like a great deal for passengers,
especialy if you take into account the convenience factor of not
having to queue up in a newsagent to buy a Travelcard.

The only exception or anomaly is if you are travelling on a train (ie,
not Underground) but I understand this is to be sorted out.