Old June 29th 08, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Another Oyster scam

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 07:34:11 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 23:42:54 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

Your final option - updated coding on first entry - is correct. All
tickets and smartcards are updated whenever there is a valid transaction
at a ticket vending or validation device.

Except National Rail barriers, surely? I was fairly sure they were a
read-only technology. Or is it just understood that they'll probably
end up used on the Tube first anyway, otherwise they'd have probably
been bought from a mainline ticket office instead?

Similarly, does a Tube barrier write to a NR-encoded Travelcard?
Again, I thought it couldn't.

I'm not going in to a huge explanation on usenet about coding. Needless
to say valid tickets are encoded by gates at NR and LU locations
regardless of where the encoded ticket was issued. The system of
checking could not work properly if that were not the case. Valid
Oyster cards, similarly, are updated regardless of where they were
bought, had value added or what validation device is reading / writing
to them.

--
Paul C