Old July 1st 08, 11:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Playing it cool

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Tom Barry wrote:

According to TfL, the heating effect arises because of the incremental
heating and cooling caused by each passing train's energy consumption.
The frequency of trains means the cooling of the tunnel walls is that
little bit less than the heating, so over the years the ground heats up
because it never gets a long enough break between trains. This is
rather borne out by the original Bakerloo Line claim that it was an
nice, cool way to travel in the heat of the summer - it was decades
before the effect was realised.

This seems like an extraordinary proposition to me. Could you refer me to
any documents giving more details?

Presumably if you could shut the tube for a few years you could reverse
it, but I can spot a couple of problems with that idea.

Or do a one-week shutdown and blow cold, damp air through the tunnels.

tom

--
.... which may end up with the women in your office cornering you at the
office xmas party and taking turns at jamming their bootclad feet into