Old July 1st 08, 11:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Barry Tom Barry is offline

Default Playing it cool

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Tom Barry wrote:

This seems like an extraordinary proposition to me. Could you refer me
to any documents giving more details?

tom

Yup, someone took notes at a TfL talk in March, which are online he

http://www.freewebs.com/going_underg...ogspot.com.doc

Relevant section:

"Most heat is generated from the equipment, brakes etc underneath the
train. Plans are being made to draw this heat out from under the trains
when they stop at platforms and then vent this heat out of the stations.
Obviously this would only work in those stations that have adequate
ventilation to street level..."

Interesting stuff, particularly since the TfL tube cooling press release
quoted the Mayor thus:

‘It always perplexed me that boffins could produce mobile phones the
size of a credit card yet passengers would emerge dripping with sweat
from Tube trains that lacked air conditioning.'

The 'boffins' do at least appear to be on the case, here (already ruling
out air-conditioned Tube trains straight off, for obvious reasons),
although whether or not any of the current crop of ideas reaches
operational status is open to question. This effect was known about
when the Jubilee was extended, so it's hardly new stuff.

What's probably true is that it's one of those engineering problems
where there's no magic bullet big ticket way of fixing it (other than
total replacement), but a few judicious improvements could add up to a
considerable improvement.

(other) Tom