Old November 25th 03, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default Route 73 to be converted to Bendi Bus

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 00:49:15 -0000, "Billy"
wrote:

The RATP does accept Cash-to- Driver transactions,BUT it will almost
certainly be accompanied by a Folies Bergere performance of
eye-rolling,shoulder shrugging and much heaving of the breast (and that`s
les Hommes !) before the Driver opens his little drawer and manually
produces a ticket (?1.30) which you then validate yourself.
Whilst the driver is recovering from the heebie-jeebies you then realise
that the remaining passengers were also regarding you with insouciance and
occasional rasping taunts from the older females who are ALWAYS in a huge
rush to get on and off the vehicle and in posession of razor-edged cases to
help clear a path for themselves.

I've only used a Parisian bus once, but I had no problems with a cash
fare, and I don't even speak French.

I used a Connex bus in Kutna Hora (CZ) recently, and the driver was
perfectly helpful, in contast to a week or so later when a Connex
driver in Croydon was extremely rude to a would-be passenger who made
the mistake of asking if he went to a particular place.

Contrast that to my experience of 6 seperate visits to London when the only
time my Travelcard was inspected was by Conductors on Routemaster
services.......

You didn't use the Underground, or a gated National Rail station? (OK,
on NR you just go the side gate and wave any random bit of paper and
it will usually get you through)

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK