Old July 4th 08, 12:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Nobody Nobody is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

In article ,
Graeme Wall wrote:
In message
wrote:

"Chris Tolley" wrote in message

Yes, but you appear to have forgotten the convention for writing the
amounts down. It would be either "1s 3d" or "1/3". If one of your

Thought it would also have been set off as 1' 3".

As someone else has pointed out, for angles, but not, in my experience, for
monetary values. Remember the default was 3 values, pounds, shilling and
pence, the use of ' and " wouldn't allow that.

Though admittedly I was only 12 on D-Day, I don't remember ever seeing
or learning the 1'3" format Hounslow3 mentions. I'm certain that " was
never used for pence. On greengrocers' signs prices might have been
shown as 1'3 per lb, for instance, but the triangular apostrophe-like
thing was really a stylised form of the diagonal stroke (solidus I think
it's called ?) in 1/3.

On the other hand as far as I recall, prices like 1/3d were not uncommon
in shop windows, even though not technically correct.

I'd tend to agree from memory as a nipper in New Zealand, as well...
though after 41 years (as of Thurday 10 July -- DC Day's anniversary)
who's to say what was exactly on signs!