Old July 4th 08, 02:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Dik T. Winter Dik T. Winter is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

In article EMOVE writes:
On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 13:13:12 GMT, "Dik T. Winter"
wrote:
I can't remember ever having seen a cheque used in the Netherlands. But
I know that cashing them can be a problem, so much so that cashing a
cheque that I received for a refund from the US would cost me more than
its value.

On the other hand, you won't find an "acceptgiro" in use in the UK.
That probably explains the lower use of cheques in NL, apart from the
low limit from the old days of NLG300 for the then Eurocheques?

I do not think so. I do not know when the "acceptgiro" was introduced, but
since I have a regular job (1969), everything was handled with money
transfers between my account and the other account. When I got my salary
it was transfered to my account. When I had to pay something I filled in
a form to transfer money from my account to another account, and did send
it to my bank. The only difference between this and the pre-1980 period
was that my salary for my part-time jobs was paid in cash.

The acceptgiro was only a simplification of the standard way to do things:
fill in a form and send it to your bank; the acceptgiro had many parts
already pre-filled.

I think the main reason is that already late in the fifties, early in the
sixties, nearly everybody had an account with a bank to transfer money with.
I got mine when I was 17 years old. I could cash in from that account at
many places (the nearest sigarshop would be possible many times), put into
that account in the same places. Pay bills with regular money transfers,
and so on.
home: bovenover 215, 1025 jn amsterdam, nederland;
http://www.cwi.nl/~dik/