Old July 4th 08, 07:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
MIG MIG is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

On Jul 4, 7:57*am, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Colum Mylod" wrote

On the other hand, you won't find an "acceptgiro" in use in the UK.

Girobank used to offer this sort of service - to pay money to someone you
filled in and signed a Transfer slip, including the account number of the
account you wanted to credit, and sent it to Girobank. It never really
caught on, except for payments e.g. to utilities, who sent with their bill a
Transfer slip, filled in with their account number, and you had to complete
it including your account number of the account to be debited. In any event
it could only be used when both parties maintained Girobank accounts. Apart
from that most people used Girobank as a normal cheque account, and since
Girobank has been taken over by Alliance & Leicester the Transfer slip
system has been abolished.

I actually used a Girobank transfer slip to pay in a shop a couple of
times (Woolworths I think). They looked at me a bit oddly, but it was
accepted and went through OK.