Old July 5th 08, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default 7day 1-6 travel card

On Jul 5, 1:18*am, "Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:
MIG wrote

On 4 Jul, 12:01, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
A 7 Zone 1-6 day Travelcard is unlikely to be good value for money
unless you plan to:

1) Regularly travel before 09.30
2) use National Rail a lot,
3) travel all the way from Zone1 to Zone 6 most days.

I'd be inclined to replace this with "A seven day 1 - 6 zone
travelcard is likely to be good value for money unless you never

.."

They really are hugely better value than any capping limit, even if
you only use them over five days.

Can we see a rough calculation ?

A 1-6 7D is £44.60 so you expect to exceed £8.92 on most of those five
days without 1) or 3) being true ?

No I wouldn't, but the poster seems to know that he wants zone 6.
Normally I'd expect a tourist to need a seven-day zone 1 - 2 plus
enough credit to/from Heathrow.

£24.20 divided by five is £4.84 so you'd be risking 4p a day against
the difference in pounds of any one journey on NR or beyond the zones
or before 0930, plus he is going to be using it for seven days anyway.

In this case, we know that he will be staying in zone 4 and knows
London well so will probably be taking advantage of various means of
travel for all of the seven days. In the end, the poster has to look
at the fare guide and work out what's best.

Or maybe that sort of military planning would spoil the holiday and it
would be better to get the travelcard and relax.

Off-peak 1-6 cap is £6.50 1-2 cap is £4.80

Peak *1-6 cap is £13.30 *1-2 cap is £6.30

For tourists and depending on hotel location (and time you finish
breakfast) a 1-2 (£24.20) 7D would often be better value. Buying a
off-peak 1D is £7.00 per day but there is the complication that a
Railcard discount to £4.80 is available to some.

--
Mike D