Old July 5th 08, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Boris's New Routemaster competition

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 12:24:22 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 12:08:15 +0100, Tom Barry
wrote:

Six lines have contracts expiring in 2009; 12, 25, 38, 73, 507,
521 - I'd like to see them try and operate the last two as single door
entry double deckers).

Might the 507 and 521 work with Berlin-style 3-door full-length (12m?)
3 axle deckers with stairs at both front and rear? I think that might
have some potential.

13.7m IIRC. Buses of that length would not get round Horseferry Road or
turn at Waterloo round to the garage area. I like the concept but it
wouldn't work and I suspect the 4m height with its "squashed" upper deck
ceiling would be very unpopular in the UK.

Single-entry buses of any kind are not a good way of shifting crowds.

Agreed

--
Paul C