Old July 5th 08, 10:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Boris's New Routemaster competition

On Jul 5, 1:24*pm, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 12:08:15 +0100, Tom Barry
wrote:

Six lines have contracts expiring in 2009; 12, 25, 38, 73, 507,
521 - I'd like to see them try and operate the last two as single door
entry double deckers).

Might the 507 and 521 work with Berlin-style 3-door full-length (12m?)
3 axle deckers with stairs at both front and rear? *I think that might
have some potential.

Single-entry buses of any kind are not a good way of shifting crowds.

Surely the need for single entry is to do with having to show
something to the driver, and has nothing to do with the shape and
flexibility of the bus.

This requirement also results in people having to squeeze through the
most narrow part of the bus and conflict with people coming down the
stairs.

So presumably the competition ought to be to design something that
avoids these problems, now that we are out of the habit of showing
things to drivers on certain routes.