Old November 26th 03, 04:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Nick Nick is offline

Default Legal challenges and congestion charging for 30 second journey leaving zone?

PeteM wrote in message ...
Nick averred
In principle I've been agreeing with the congestion charge, but that
was until I was caught in this trap. On an evening and outside zone
hours I would like to drive to my g/f's flat that's inside the zone by
about 100 yards drive.

:-)) You were all in favour of the congestion charge, right up to the
moment when you found out it wasn't just Other People who were going to
have to pay it ...!

Hehe, not really as I've paid it before on the one or two occasions
where I had to drive into the Zone. The Zone is fine and probably does
some good. No one likes to have to pay up but there are alternatives
for getting into town.

What a pity you didn't make that objection before you realised the
charge would apply to you. Then your objection wouldn't have been open
to the criticism of special pleading.

Agree with you totally on that, it's a pity indeed, but as the
circumstance didn't apply this wasn't an option. Oh well.

I too have an idea to make the scheme more reasonable. The congestion
charge should apply to the whole of central London, *except* the route
up Kennington Road and York Road, across Waterloo Bridge, through the
Aldwych, then up Kingsway and Woburn Place and so to Euston Station.

By an extraordinary coincidence I often drive along just that route
myself. But that hasn't influenced my opinion at all.

Not really that extraordinary and I think we guessed that by the
second line but thanks for the clarification

There probably are routes out of town that one could say are congested
but I didn't think that the charge was to try and combat those. Really
I'd have expected that the charge should be getting those that drive
into town, and to catch people that entered overnight to record those
that are travelling on major arteries through town. This would be
reasonable whether or not there was congestion, but being charged to
actually drive out of town on clear routes seems unreasonable and is
perhaps the biggest flaw in the system.

Another modification to the scheme might be to only charge if there
was congestion, and this is something that is technically entirely
feasible to do although of course less of a deterrent because people
would chance their luck on there being none, but if there was no
congestion the payment could be carried over until next time.

n.