Old July 15th 08, 03:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Thameslink Rolling Stock

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Paul Scott wrote:

Adrian wrote:
gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Roger Ford guesses a 200 hp diesel generator will need to be
included under one of the carriages in each unit. It's not a
terrible idea but

Can't see that happening. They'd have to install diesel fuel supplies
and engine maintenance facilities in the depots. Not cheap or perhaps
even practical. Also Thameslink has some steep sections (eg city
thameslink to blackfriars) and I'm wondering if 200hp would be
enough to propel a 140 ton unit up them.

The diesel engine wouldn't actually be propelling the train, of
course - merely generating enough electrickery to enable the motors
to do so. I'm assuming there'd be batteries involved, too,

Those will be the special DfT designed batteries that still allow the
unit to be lighter than anything previously built of course...

Hydrogen fuel cells, presumably. Hydrogen's light, right? WHAT COULD
POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

tom

--
As Emiliano Zapata supposedly said, "Better to die on your feet than
live on your knees." And years after he died, Marlon Brando played him