Old November 26th 03, 06:25 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Ian Smith Ian Smith is offline

Default The effects of a road congestion tax

"Robin May" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"Ian Smith" wrote the following
in:

I'd venture that the USA, the richest country in the world, got
there by promoting economic growth through cheap transportation of
goods and people; not by strangling free trade with punitive
taxation.

And in America cheap transportation seems to mean everyone has a car
from virtually the age of 16 and petrol is so cheap that people

won't
walk 5 minutes down the road to their friend's house. It's cheap
transportation achieved as a result of a 'sod the environment'
mentality.

Which is why I suggested regulations on car fuel economy figures,
somewhat more stringently than they do in the US; and not a difficult
thing to achieve. Gone are the gas guzzlers, regardless of how cheap
fuel becomes. Result is everyone uses less fuel, since the rich can't
then simply buy their way out and pollute more. And, by removing the
fuel tax, money gets freed up for other economic activities.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Then and than are different words!