Old November 26th 03, 06:28 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Ian Smith Ian Smith is offline

Default The effects of a road congestion tax

"Huge" wrote in message
"Ian Smith" writes:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

[31 lines snipped]

The idea of ETR isn't to add a tax, it's to replace all of the

existing
ones with ones based around what causes unsustainable damage to

the
environment.

I'd like to believe that. However, I still think we need to

start
back at square 1 with taxation based on income, to the exclusion of
all others.

Just so long as it's a flat rate. "Progressive" (I hate that word in

this
context) taxation is iniquitious.

Yes, that's what I meant, even though I didn't phrase it very
well. One % for all. I wonder what that figure would be, based on
current government income/expenditure, assuming all other taxes
removed (and corporate tax remained constant)?