Old July 17th 08, 10:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN ANDREW ROBERT BREEN is offline

Default Thameslink Rolling Stock

In article ,
wrote:

Why are new trains so much heavier? All they have over the old ones is
better crash protection and air con. Would those really make that much
difference to the overall weight? I can imagine it adding on a few
tons but not the huge excess we see in new stock.

Why would you imagine that: consider that the typical weight of a family
car has close on doubled over the last 35 years - almost all due to crash
protection (with some down to NVH supression and some to a/c and
such). The weight growth of trains looks very modest by comparison.

--
Andy Breen ~ Not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Feng Shui: an ancient oriental art for extracting