Old July 19th 08, 07:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
news.verizon.net news.verizon.net is offline

Default How much was a ticket for the underground in the 60s?

"Nobody" wrote in message

Years ago when the Canadian dollar was trading in the region of 70-75
US cents, the finance chair of our (apartment) strata corporation
began separating out Yankee quarters from the cash inserted in the
complex's laundry machines.

She'd amassed a considerable number of 25-cent pieces (replacing the
value of submitted Ammurican quarters with equivalent Canadian two-bit
pieces so the corporation's books balanced).

She knew I was about to visit Seattle, and asked if I'd cart the loot
across the line and Make A Profit by exchanging the US quarters for
Green Back paper.

Any bank I approached, refused to accept the large numbers of coins as
I wasn't/we weren't a customer.

I finally found one that accepted the metal, although at a "discount"
to handle the loose change... so I ended up basically with paper/bills
worth the same "face value" of the original mass of coins in Canadian
dollars anyway.

The problem was that I could barely pick up the money and had to put
it in a large rucksack to get it there. I got over £80 even with the
ripoff.

But it would require about 9 million people to do something similar to
add up to the three quarters of a (presumably American) billion
suggested. I am not one of them any more.

Next time, roll them and take them to a grocery store. .