Old July 21st 08, 08:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Andy Andy is offline

Default Petition to stop overcrowding on public transport

On Jul 20, 9:24*pm, wrote:
It still doesn't make sense to build Tube lines in South London though,
because that would involve expensive wheelchair-accessible stations which
would leave the existing surface stations underused or closed. I think it

I don't follow your reasoning. Why would wheelchair access in new tube
stations force the closure of overground stations? And a couple of new
tube lines is hardly going to have all the commuters from the whole of
south london abandoning southern region in droves and more than the
northern line in clapham means no one uses clapham junction. It would
just take the pressure off *the lines a bit.

No one in Clapham would use National Rail at Clapham Junction because
it is too far away. Clapham Junction and Clapham Common (for example)
stations have different catchment zones. A better example would be to
compare Clapham North and Clapham High Street, which do serve the same
area. I think that you will find that the Northern line is much busier
than the National Rail service here, as it is at Brixton, where the
Victoria is much busier than National Rail. Maybe not enough to close
the National Rail stations, but enough to mean it is not worthwhile
lengthening trains etc.