Old July 22nd 08, 09:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] thagor2008@googlemail.com is offline

Default Oyster card hack

On Jul 22, 10:24 am, "
wrote:
We don't know what the technique is yet. But assuming TfL have cameras
watching all the gates and centralized instant access to every card
being used then it's not going to be too easy to exploit even if
cloning the card is a simple as running it through a photocopier.

Most CCTV images are rubbish and I doubt they'll have the police on
standby all to catch the person next time they try and use a gate. As
soon as the card is blocked they'll bin it and use another.

actually exchange the card. Cloning allows them to skip the need to
physically swap the card but can be detected if the card is used at
two remote stations too quickly.

It all depends if the serial number can be modified. According to this
document:

http://www.nxp.com/acrobat/other/ide...S50_rev5_3.pdf

its write protected after manufacture. Though given NXPs recent
bluffing I'd take that with a pinch off salt.

Assuming they can change the serial number and the gates don't store a
complete list of valid cards its simply a matter of changing the
number as soon as the card is blocked.

I don't know if weekly travelcards need photo ID as well. If not then

I don't think they've needed a photo card for a long time.

The other attack is to clone someones card as then exit the tube -
shouldn't be too hard to scan their card if, like me, they just stick
it in their trouser pocket and the area is crowded enough. If it's

No , thats probably not possible. This isn't a powered wireless system
such as bluetooth waiting to be contacted. Its powered by the RF it
gets through its antenna and for that to be strong enough its got to
be very close to the transmitter coil or you need a socking powerful
transmitter which isn't going to fit in the palm of someones hand and
would probably give the user RF burns even if it did. Even if you
could power up an Oyster from a few feet away odds are you might not
be able to read the reply anyway if it gives off a really low power
signal.

B2003