Old July 22nd 08, 01:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default London Transport and Prince Caspian

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Peter Beale wrote:

Went to see "Prince Caspian" last night - it opens with a very
authentic-looking London scene during the war, including 1940s taxis and
buses, and the entrance to Strand Underground station - then down on to
the platform, and 1938 stock. Presumably the scenes on the platform are
actually Alwych - but I am fascinated to know how the outside scenes
were done. Is it a combination of computer-generated stuff and the
genuine article? The street outside Strand Station had tramlines - in
itself inauthentic, the trams only reached "Savoy St Strand" - but also
they had no conduit slot, and I did not notice OHL either.

Presumably, they're magic.

In tenuously related news, there's famously (FSVO 'famously') one lone
anachronism in the whole of the otherwise painstakingly crafted language
of rival Inkling fantasy epic The Lord of the Rings, and that's also rail
transport related:

"They all ducked, and many fell flat on their faces. The dragon passed
like an express train, turned a somersault, and burst over Bywater with a
deafening explosion."

An express train is a rather odd thing to draw a simile to in Middle
Earth. Moar he

http://llamabutchers.mu.nu/archives/247878.php

Although at least one modeller has taken the idea and run with it:

http://www.rickdavis.co.uk/rail/index.php

tom

--
Sometimes it takes a madman like Iggy Pop before you can SEE the logic
really working.