Old July 23rd 08, 10:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
J. Chisholm J. Chisholm is offline

Default Crossrail approved

Mr Thant wrote:
On 23 Jul, 00:10, 1506 wrote:
How will this work? I thought that the Crossrail platforms were to be
on the south side of Paddington under the old cab road?

Yes they are. They're going to build a long thin two storey high
"spine of light" (by which they mean skylight) between the cab road
and Eastbourne Terrace, which will be directly above the island
platform.

I suspect something like a linear 'sunpipe' would be quite effective
see:
http://www.sunpipe.co.uk

With the cost of enegy reducing the need for artificial light and
air-con can be very cost effective (as can regen braking)

As an aside I was suprised that the crossrail tunnels don't appear
'switchback' into the stations.
I'd like to be proved wrong as 'rising' into a station, and 'falling'
away is clearly the most efficient way of coverting kinetic energy into
potential energy and back again. Must be far more efficient than regen
braking.

Jim Chisholm

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London