Old July 23rd 08, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
1506 1506 is offline

Default Crossrail approved

On Jul 23, 3:08*am, "J. Chisholm" wrote:
Mr Thant wrote:
On 23 Jul, 00:10, 1506 wrote:
How will this work? *I thought that the Crossrail platforms were to be
on the south side of Paddington under the old cab road?

Yes they are. They're going to build a long thin two storey high
"spine of light" (by which they mean skylight) between the cab road
and Eastbourne Terrace, which will be directly above the island
platform.

I suspect something like a linear 'sunpipe' would be quite effective
see:http://www.sunpipe.co.uk

With the cost of enegy reducing the need for artificial light and
air-con can be very cost effective (as can regen braking)

As an aside I was suprised that the crossrail tunnels don't appear
'switchback' into the stations.
I'd like to be proved wrong as 'rising' into a station, and 'falling'
away is clearly the most efficient way of coverting kinetic energy into
potential energy and back again. Must be far more efficient than regen
braking.

'switchbacking' into, and out of, the stations is a great concept. It
is utilized on the Central Line. However, I believe that Crossrail
has to avoid so many exist facilities like deep foundations and other
subway lines, that switchbacking is impractical.