Old July 25th 08, 09:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Peter Beale Peter Beale is offline

Default Man electrocuted after urinating on track

Chris Tolley wrote:
Peter Beale wrote:

Mortimer wrote:
No, electrocution means death by electric shock, whether accidental or as an
execution:

New Oxford Dictionary of English (2001)

"electrocute: injure or kill someone by electric shock: 'a man was
electrocuted on the rail track'"

They even choose the same example as in this case!

That's interesting: I have always maintained that "electrocute" should
only be used when the electric shock leads to death - in line with
"execute", and as you have put it. I am surprised that the OED extends
it to non-fatal injury.

What word do you use for the other case, then?

Suffered an electric shock, was badly injured by an electric
shock/lightning...

Peter Beale