Old July 27th 08, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default Post Office Alley in Chiswick, London

MatSav wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote in
message ...

In Thames Rd aka Strand On The Green, just west of the railway
bridge is an alley called Post Office Alley which contains a
small old floodgate at the river end. Set into one wall of this
alleyway is a line of solid metal knobs which are shaped like
carpentry dovetails. The line is level (i.e. level with a
spirit level rather than level with the rather sloping ground).
There is nothing in the other side of the alley. I presume they
serve some flood defence purpose but I can't figure it out. Any
clues?

Photograph he

http://americangrey.co.uk/index.php?showimage=489

Thanks!

You find the most secret little wonderful place in London... and then you
find out that several Beetles movies have been shot there. Sigh.

It looks to me like they may just have been some sort of fixing
for shuttering when the render was applied to the brickwork - but
why is the rendering higher on that wall than the opposite wall?
Either that, or there's a mezzanine floor inside the building,
and the dovetail joints are exactly that!

Here's the pic I took... I should have included that with the first post,
but I didn't know how many people would be interested.
http://www.geocities.com/pikkulapsi/Rimg0199-mod.jpg