Old July 29th 08, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
J. Chisholm J. Chisholm is offline

Default Bridge joints

John Rowland wrote:
I don't know the correct terminology, but I'm talking about the 2 rubber
strips across the entire road width which you get on either side of a road
bridge.

Expansion Joints (buffer space to take up expasion of beams on hot days)
I notice that one of the bridge joints in Primrose Street has been covered
by the new bricked road surface... Is this a cock up, or are bridge joints
not really necessary?

If they are just short beams, I'd expect that the 'bricks'would adapt to
fill the space, and voids when cold would not be noticed. (I wonder what
sort of joint is beneath the bricks?)
If this were a 500m beam, I don't think it would be a good solution.

Jim Chisholm