Old August 1st 08, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default New wood lane station

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article

,
() wrote:

Given this new station on the H&C seems to be literally a stones
throw from White City on the central , wouldn't it have made more
sense to call it white city rather than having another daft
Bank-Monument situation?

An alternative view is that White City should be revert to its old
name given that the stadium is long gone.

The area is called White City, and the area inside Australia Rd is
called the White City Estate.

Wood Lane, on the other hand, is the name of roads in Highgate,
Stanmore and Kingsbury: Also, the southern end of Wood La W12 will
have Shepherds Bush as its nearest station, so Wood Lane is a bad
name for the new station. However, I suspect the fire brigade don't
want the new station to be called White City.

I only said it was an alternative view!

I only said why I didn't agree with that alternative view.

Given the name of the nearby
late lamented station it was an odd decision to go for "Wood Lane".
Why would the Fire Brigade object to the White City name, though?

They don't like two stations having the same name.