Old August 3rd 08, 08:30 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Overcrowded trains

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message . uk,
at 20:54:00 on Sun, 3 Aug 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
There are apparently plans for an island platform, but that may be
more because they want to shift the terminus a couple of miles
north to Chesterton Sidings.

No, it's because of the plan to run 12 cars on West Anglia. While

there
is or soon will be capacity for through 12 car trains (for a minimal
extension of platform 1 and a slightly greater extension of platform

4)
there is just no way of terminating the Liverpool St service, which
uses platforms 2 and 3 pretty well entirely, if it comprises 12 car
trains, without extra platforms.

Why can't they terminate at Chesterton Parkway?

Only one terminating platform. I'm not sure it will accommodate 12 car
trains either.

No planning has included 12 car trains on West Anglia until a very recent
plan mainly concerned with issues nearer London but where Cambridge is
the only practical termination point. At least that's my reading of it.
I'm assured that the case for Chesterton Parkway is unaffected, mainly
because CB1 depends on diverting the cars from the existing station.

--
Colin Rosenstiel