Old August 6th 08, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.transport.london
Nicholas D. Richards Nicholas D. Richards is offline

Default OT - Cencus and boat addresses - was(Post Office Alley in Chiswick, London)

In article , Tom
Anderson on Mon, 28 Jul 2008 at 16:43:40 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, michael adams wrote:

Here's another thought: if you had a letterbox on both sides, could you
have two addresses? Do addresses in fact belong to letterboxes, and not
houses?

That's true, mutatis mutandis, of internet addresses and network
interfaces. I was very confused when i realised that my computer didn't
actually have an internet address, but my network card did! And am still
slightly confused by the fact that it's my computer which has the domain
name ... isn't it?

Even more off topic, it is a good job that houses do not have dynamic
addressing like many computers, sorry network cards, sorry networks.
Would be just like finding 'Holly' last year.

For census purposes does a boat have an address, particularly if it is a
genuine CC'er?

The numbers are probably not significant today, however, how did the
census deal with this problem when significant numbers of narrowboat and
barge workers, lived aboard and moved round the country on a daily
basis? Maybe this should be the subject of a new thread?

'I went to bed on "The Strand" and woke up on "Gas Works Alley".'

--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Oł sont les neiges d'antan?"