Old August 7th 08, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default OT - Cencus and boat addresses - was(Post Office Alley in Chiswick, London)

David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 10:24:16AM +0100, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
In article , Tom
Anderson said:
Here's another thought: if you had a letterbox on both sides, could
you have two addresses? Do addresses in fact belong to letterboxes,
and not houses?

The former. Sort of. The building I live in has three flats in it,
numbered 1, 2 and 3. Flats 2 and 3 share a common front door and
hallway, having their own doors off that. As far as normal people are
concerned, that's three flats and three addresses. Post for flats 2
and 3 is delivered through a single letterbox. Consequently, as far
as the post office is concerned, there are only *two* addresses, one
for flat 1, and one for the shared letterbox of flats 2 and 3.

This is quite irritating, especially when stupid programmers working
for stupid companies insist that I tell them my address by typing in
my postcode and then selecting one of the addresses that the post
office think exist. Normally it doesn't matter, of course, but it
does matter when I'm trying to do something like order a pizza late
at night and
want the delivery boy to ring *my* doorbell and not have to guess at
random between mine and my upstairs neighbour's.

If the pizza boy has two brain cells to rub together he will figure out that
lower flats tend to have lower doorbells, and flats with people awake late
at night tend to have lights on.