Old August 9th 08, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Grit in the Oyster

On 9 Aug, 11:27, Tom Barry wrote:
Have you got anything intelligent to say about it, or are you just
airing your well-known anti-Oyster views?

I didn't notice anyone else posting the link. What would you like, a
discourse on its technical merits? We've already done that. For the
record I'm not anti Oyster per se, I'm anti the way TfL have set up
the PAYG which IMO is close to being fraudulent.

Personally, if Hendy is incandescent about the Oyster failures, good.
He's every right to be, indeed if he wasn't he'd not be doing his job
properly.

If he'd been doing his job properly he'd have choisen the DES
encrypted MiFARE system, not the bargain basement hackable one thats
been around for ages.

As for the early end of the contract (in two years, actually) various
questions arise, not least of which is that Transys now have no
particular incentive to improve their performance beyond whatever
penalty payments are in the contract, a common drawback of outsourcing

Oh well, perhaps he (or his predecessor) shouldn't have outsourced.
But then its much easier for management to outsource because then if
things go wrong they can just bluster a lot and wave contracts rather
than having to actually take any blame for their poor decisions.

B2003