Old August 11th 08, 08:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Grit in the Oyster

On Aug 10, 8:18 pm, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 12:16:14 -0700 (PDT), Boltar wrote:
AFAIK mifare doesn't support AES.

According tohttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIFARE, they do. The article
also mentions a replacement card for the current Oyster/MIFARE Classic card
that will support AES.

Interesting, didn't spot a mention of AES on their site, just DES, but
then I didn't look that hard. In that case theres even less excuse for
TfL to pick the bottom of the range one.

Does anyone know if these cards will be as fast as the current Oyster
cards, or if they will require travellers to hold the card still on the
reader longer?

More importantly , if they do force an upgrade are we expected to
cough up another 3 quid for a new card?

B2003