Old November 29th 03, 08:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default No new runway for Heathrow

Colin wrote:
There has just been a report on News 24 that the White Paper to be
published in mid-December will NOT recommend a third Runway for
Heathrow at this time.

Instead it will recommend a third runway at Stansted.

Stansted has only one runway at present. The reports I've seen today talk
about one extra runway at Stansted, but no guesses about where any further
runways might be sited. Heathrow seems to be ruled out only temporarily,
until pollution estimates are lower.

Had an interview with BA who were most definitiely not pleased at
this news. Their main point is that Stansted is not suitable for long
haul and they require a single hub. Then there was the usual line
that long haul flights (and hence business) will move to Paris &
Frankfurt.

BA are making their usual selfish noises. It was their decision to
concentrate their operations on the airport least suitable for large-scale
expansion.

--
Richard J.