Old August 17th 08, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Email to Network Rail regarding Liverpool Street

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 14:43:36 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Use of the manual gate by able bodied passengers opens all sorts of
possibility of passengers using out of date tickets, invalid tickets
and such like. I more than commend any staff who don't allow able
bodied passengers to go through the manual gate.

Because sometimes there aren't enough barriers to control the flow.
Euston always allow people through the manual gate, if they didn't the
queue would be twice as long, and it's already far too long, yet
there's no room for more barriers. Milton Keynes Central used to
refuse, until I pointed this out to the "Meet the Manager", at which
point they started allowing people through as well.

Barriers are IMO a good thing, but they do need human help when the
passenger volumes get too big at the height of the peak. It also
helps that on peak trains it's unlikely that there will be many
without[1] tickets.

[1] There may be some with fraudulent combinations (season to the
first stop from the terminus, then another from the last stop to the
destination), but I don't think many people try to get away with
commuting ticketless to/from barriered stations day in, day out. When
a grip is carried out on the 1823 or 1824 EUS to Northampton, I don't
think I've seen a ticket issued in a long time.

Neil

--
Neil Williams