Old August 17th 08, 06:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default OT - Blue plaques

On Aug 17, 5:07*pm, "Peter Smyth" wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote in message

I think they would be a lot more useful if they had little flags
hanging above them, giving an indication of which people might be
interested in them. For instance, not many Londoners would be
interested in a plaque about how the founder of Bolivia once lived in
this house, whereas Bolivian tourists would probably like to have it
drawn to their attention that of all the blue plaques in London, this
is the one which is of interest to them, so a little flagpole with a
Bolivian flag above the blue plaque would help everyone. I don't think
it would spoil conservation areas either.

Presumably these Bolivian tourists don't wander around London aimlessly
on the off chance they might find a Bolivian-related blue plaque. If
they particularly wanted to see the house of the founder of Bolivia they
would look up the location beforehand and a flag would not be necessary.

Apparently he did go to London in 1910, but I don't know where he
stayed, and he probably wouldn't have had a house.