Old August 20th 08, 11:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Hey ho, hey ho, its off to strike we go...

On Aug 20, 10:57*am, John B wrote:
On Aug 20, 9:25 am, MIG wrote:

I'd be interested to know what the arguments against Bob Crow's
position on supporting his members might be, but no such reasoned
argument seems to be forthcoming.

British union leaders traditionally behaved like Crow. Understandably,
companies sought to replace their workforce with machines, foreigners
employed abroad, and foreigners employed here. As a result of that,
although plenty of British-designed goods are still manufactured, many
by British companies and quite a few in the UK, manufacturing
employment is at its lowest since the Industrial Revolution.

Thanks (for making an argument).

We obviously see it a bit differently. From your point of view, the
decline (or destruction) of British industry is due to outdated and
unreasonable demands of the unions that forced helpless companies to
look elsewhere.

From my point of view, British industry continues to be deliberately
destroyed by governments (from Thatcher onwards most spectacularly) to
remove any bargaining power from those resisting the unbridled greed
of multinational companies.

On the face of it, neither of us can easily prove our case (and there
might be various amounts of truth in both), but the evidence might be
found by looking at where the wealth and power really is.