Old August 21st 08, 02:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default Who names new roads?

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Chris Read) wrote:

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote:

Some minor official in the Borough Council. The local one in
Cambridge sometimes drives me to distraction with his perversity.

Do many roads get named (without fanfare) after serving or former
local councillors? A member of my family is convinced that is the
case, without being able to produce any evidence to support this.

Quite a few in fact.

Will there one day be a Rosenstiel Mews in Cambridge?

Logically yes because my wife was also a councillor for 26 years until
she retired in May, but no chance in practice. People won't be able to
spell or pronounce it.

Surely being unspellable is one of the critieria for a new road name.

Incidentally, tonight I discovered that one of the road signs in Helvetia St
SE6 says "Helvtia St". Lewisham Council doesn't know its ares from its
eblow.