Old August 27th 08, 06:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default Who names new roads?

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
lid (Arthur Figgis) wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message . uk,
at 09:30:00 on Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
There's a Docwra's Close next to Shepreth Station. Pronounce that!
No harder than "Gwydir".
I can have a stab at "Gwydir" (perhaps to rhyme with "why-dear",
or is it "wider"),

Assuming this is the one in Cambridge, something like "G'why-der"
is about what I knew it as, rhyming with wider, but I didn't know
many natives to know how they might say it - the chap I know who
lives in said street is from Herefordshire. Whitefriargate in Hull
is locally called Whitefrargate, with a missing middle "i", but
there is no way of knowing that.

Correct. But we have induction for outsiders round here. They have to
learn to pronounce Quy and Manea too.

K-eye, like why? And like Brainy? Plus "keys" college, of course.

I've heard claims that stiff-key is becoming accepted in Norfolk.

Then there is Marylebone....

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK