Old August 29th 08, 10:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive D. W. Feather Clive D. W. Feather is offline

Default Thames Gateway

In article , Tom
Anderson writes
The cable-car at Alton Towers goes across a valley, rather than "up a hill".

Okay, good one. There, i think we have an auxiliary reason for
cable-cars, which is that they're cool, and at a theme park, that's a
good enough reason.

And, now I think of it, I've seen cable cars at theme parks that are
completely on the flat (though I couldn't say where from memory).

Alton Towers also has a number of light rail systems, and despite the
fact that they are all closed cloops with only one station, they have a
quite remarkable variety of grades and curves. And some really rather
unorthodox approaches to seating!

Actually, one of them has two stations. Many of them also have sidings,
and I can think of one where the station has an island platform with
regular service on both tracks. [Come to think of it, a lot of the
stations have separate arrival and departure platforms.]

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: